Friday, November 21, 2014

"Why I Cut My Dreads " -Egberi Papa 1 of Bayelsa, Timaya

Self-proclaimed Egberi Papa 1 of Bayelsa, Timaya, has revealed that he decided to cut his braids and undergo a physical transformation process to appeal to a wider audience.

Timaya who recently released his 5th studio album, “Epiphany” also stated that he is continually striving to beat his own record.

Hosted at weekly entertainment industry networking platform, ‘Industry Nite,’ at Spice Route, Victoria Island, Lagos, many artistes and fans of the Bayelsa-born singer were present in large numbers to celebrate a man who some refer to as the ‘King of Dancehall’ in Nigeria.

Timaya also gave the reason for naming his album, ‘Epiphany’ which according to the Merriam Webstar dictionary means ‘a moment in which you suddenly see or understand something in a new or very clear way.’ According to the controversial artiste, “The title of my album kind of speaks about my situation right now. The Timaya that used to be plantain boy is no longer a boy on the streets, but a big man now,” he quipped.

On what informed the choice of the artistes he featured on the album, Timaya said, “I featured artistes who I regard as the best in my heart. I just wanted to feel them, and that is why I have them on the album,” he stated.

He further explained the reason for cutting his braids. He said, “I know I’m very versatile; that’s part of the reason why I cut my hair. I rebranded by cutting my dreads so I can appeal to a larger audience.”

The Dem Mama Soldier took many down memory lane when he performed tracks off his previous albums to the appreciation of the audience who kept wriggling their waists to the gyrating drum beats.

At a point during his performance, someone in the audience called out, “Timaya show them say you get craze,” to which he replied, “I don cut my dreads o. I no dey craze again…they’ve taken me to Yaba Left (Psychiatric Hospital),” which got guests laughing.

Also speaking on his motivation for putting out good music, Timaya said, “Every of my past hits inspire me to do more. I always want to beat my own records,” he asserted.

However, Timaya’s temperamental nature also reared its ugly head when journalists were requesting for interviews with him. At a point, Timaya blurted out, “Abeg, shey na interview we come do for here, or we come perform,” he stated when the questions were getting too much. Of course, nobody bothered to ask him any other question after that.

Artistes that came on stage to support Timaya include 2face Idibia, Patoranking, Olamide, Praiz, Phyno, DJ Exclusive, Tiwa Savage, Teebillz, amongst others.

No comments:

Post a Comment