Thursday, March 5, 2015

45 Year Old Woman Jailed For Pouring Hot Water On Her Husband

An FCT Area Court in Lugbe, on Thursday sentenced a housewife, Owolati Laide, 45, to three months imprisonment for pouring hot water on her husband. The convict who lives at Goesse Village, Airport Road Abuja, was sentenced on a one-count charge of “causing hurt on provocation.’’

The Judge, Mr Gambo Garba, however, gave Laide an option of N5, 000 fine.
According to the judge, the court is being lenient because of her six- month old baby.
Garba said the punishment would have been more severe if the convict had not pleaded guilty and saved the court the pains of protracted prosecution.
Continue..

He told the convict to desist from committing crime.
The convict had pleaded guilty and begged the court to tamper justice with mercy.
“ Please sir, don’t send me to jail because of my six months old baby.
“ I am so sorry for what I did; it was the devil that lured me into this act. I will not do it again.
“I just discovered that my husband has other five wives without my consent. When I confronted him, he started beating me and I had injuries all over my body.
“So, when I was washing my face with hot water, he came and started beating me. In the process the hot water poured on him.

“I did not intentionally pour hot water on the man, please sir, forgive me, ’’ she pleaded
Owolati Tajudeem, her husband, had told the court that Laide got annoyed because his second wife who was pregnant came from Lagos without her consent.
“She is aware of my marriage to other five wives,” he said.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Cpl. Lliyau Maji, prayed the court to try the convict summarily since she admitted committing the crime.

Maji told the court that the accused husband reported the matter at Iddo Police Station, Abuja, on Jan. 2.
Maji said that the complainant claimed that the accused person poured hot water on him all over his body while he was asleep in the night. The prosecutor said the accused person committed the crime out of provocation. Maji alleged that the accused person intentionally committed the action that contravened Section 245 of the Penal Code.

No comments:

Post a Comment