Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Jilted job seeker bathes ex-lover with acid

The police in Lagos have arrested a man, Paul Nwokobia, for allegedly pouring acid on his ex-lover, Rosemary Nnaife, in the Surulere area of the state.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Nwokobia, who was arrested by policemen from the Itire division, was apprehended along with three of his friends ─ who were identified as accomplices.
Continue..

It was learnt that Rosemary, whose head to waist was damaged by the acid, was presently receiving treatment at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba.

Our correspondent learnt that Nwokobia, said to be a job seeker, met Rosemary in 2011, and the duo had been courting until September 2014 when they separated.

It was gathered that Nwokobia, said to have no identifiable job, had allegedly been sending threat messages to Rosemary to come back to him, but the latter reportedly refused.

It was learnt that on Thursday, June 3, Rosemary, who worked as a factory worker in Mushin, received a call on her phone from a hidden caller at about 4pm, requesting her to bake a cake.

The caller, who was a woman, was said to have called again at about 8pm, asking the victim to meet her at a location in Surulere to collect money for the cake.

Our correspondent gathered that it, however, turned out that Rosemary was lured to the location as an unidentified man poured acid on her and fled the area.

She was rushed to LUTH for treatment since the fateful day, while the matter was reported to the police at Itire.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Nwokobia allegedly relocated from the area after the incident.

It was gathered that last week Friday, June 26, he and three others were eventually arrested by the police.

When our correspondent visited the hospital on Tuesday, he observed that half of the lady’s face, her two arms and chest had been burnt by the acid.

Rosemary, a secondary school leaver from Delta State, said Nwokobia was the only one who had sent several threat messages to her after she ended the relationship.

She added that the severity of the damage did not let her see the face of the attacker, but said she was sure it was a man.

She said, “In the afternoon of that Thursday, I was at work when a private number called me at about 4pm. It was a lady who spoke, telling me that she wanted me to bake a cake for her. She said she would call back later and we would meet.

“I stay with my elder sister on Sariyu Street, Itire, and at about 8.30pm, the private number called again. She said she was at a spot in Surulere in a red car. I believed her and left the house to meet the woman, telling her that I was in a red blouse too.”

“When I got to the area, I did not see any car or the woman. As I made to return home, someone suddenly drew my weavon from behind, and poured acid on me.

“As a result of the effects of the substance, I screamed and turned. However, I could not see the face very well, but I am sure it was a man. He fled the area immediately. It was residents in the area who rushed me to the hospital and called my relatives on the telephone.”

Rosemary added that she had been dating the suspect for four years, but left him because he was not a straightforward man.

“It was last year September that I left him, and he had been threatening to deal with me since then. I did not know his plans. I left him because he was not a straightforward man,” she added.

Rosemary’s elder brother, Eric, told PUNCH Metro that the family had spent N300,000 on surgery and needed financial help to complete her sister’s treatment.

He said, “It is just the family struggling to pay the bills. We have paid N80,000 for the first surgery, and still need the same amount for the second surgery. We have spent over N300,000 in the hospital. We need financial help for Rosemary.”

The elder sister, Amaka, said the police should thoroughly investigate the matter.

“Some of the suspect’s friends are threatening us over this matter. We want the police to investigate the incident and bring the culprits to book. They are threatening our lives,” she said.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, confirmed the incident.

He added that the suspects had been transferred to the State Department of Criminal Investigation for further investigation.
Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment