Saturday, October 17, 2015

Falae To Judiciary: Don’t Spare My Kidnappers

■ Ringleader owns mansion, 4 posh cars
■ How we shared ex-SGF’s ransom –Suspects
Relieved that he’s finally been brought face to face with his ab­ductors in police net where he iden­tified them, former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Chief Olu Falae has asked the judiciary not to spare his kidnappers.


“As a public officer, I am proud of the se­curity agencies that went all out against these criminals. I am hopeful, if given adequate support and resources the police would live above expectations of all Nigerians. No in­stitution can be better than the Nigerian so­ciety, but I expect the judiciary to perform its responsibility and do justice to this case based on the evidence presented before them”, Falae declared in an interview after he identified his kidnappers in a parade at the police command headquarters in Akure, the Ondo state capital on Thursday.


While Falae is calling for justice, the sus­pected arrowhead of the syndicate is plead­ing innocence. “I wasn’t involved in the ab­duction of chief, although my phone number was used for negotiation of the ransom and a large amount of the ransom collected was also found in my house. What happened was that, one of my friends known as Idris, who I met just two months ago came to my house few days before Sallah celebration and took one of my SIM cards”, this was part of the defense of Abubakar Auta a.k.a Datijo who the police alleged was one of the master­minds of the kidnap of Chief Falae, abducted by Fulani herdsmen on his 77th birthday.


The Special Intelligence Response Team (SIRT), an elite unit of the Nigeria Police Force, which was deployed by the Inspec­tor General of Police, Solomon Arase, to track and apprehend the kidnappers picked Abubakar and four others at different loca­tions including Niger, Ondo and Ekiti states. The other four suspects who were identified as Abubakar Auta, Bello Jannu, Umaru Ibra­him, Masahudu Muhammed and Idris Lawal were said to have robbed and abducted Falae on September 21, 2015 at Kajola/Eyinala community in Akure North Local Govern­ment Area of Ondo State.
Their arrest


Police investigation revealed that among the suspects, Abubakar Auta a.k.a Datijo was one of the masterminds and coordinator of the gang as he was said to have negotiated and collected the ransom. With the aid of one Idris who is still at large, he allegedly organised the team who he controlled from Niger State. Masahudu Muhammed who is based in Ekiti provided the gang with finance while Bello Jannu who is based in Niger was drafted to help provide most of the expertise the gang adopted. Jannu confessed to the po­lice that he is a seasoned kidnapper who has taken part in three high profile kidnappings in Kogi State.
The suspected gang leader, Abubakar, 25, who is married to two wives, was arrested when operatives of the SIRT, trailed him to his mansion in Minna, Niger State. It was gathered that the operatives uncovered that the calls for negotiation of ransom emanated from a location in Minna, Niger State. When they searched his apartment, N823,990, which was part of the N5million paid as ran­som to Falae’s kidnappers, was recovered.


Although he claimed that he is a victim of circumstance, police detectives assured that they have scientific proof to show that he was at the location where the ransom was paid.
The operatives also discovered that Abubakar had recently purchased the man­sion and three cars; two Toyota Camry and an Avalon, for a yet to ascertained amount. He was also alleged to have spent two years in Port Harcourt where he acquired more skills.
It was further gathered that the recovered money, which was in various denominations, still has the stamp of the Akure branch of the bank where it was withdrawn for payment at the time it was recovered.
The suspects also identified Abdullahi Us­man and Babaworu who are currently in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) as members of the criminal gang. The DSS had earlier in the week paraded the duo.


The duo, while they were paraded by DSS, alleged that it was one Datijo that ap­proached them, complaining that he was broke and asked them to give information on any big man that could be abducted. They also alleged that the entire ransom was paid to Datijo.
Confirming their arrest, IGP Arase, in a statement made available to the media, said that after discreet investigation into the ab­duction of Chief Falae and the subsequent ar­rest of the suspected kidnappers ordered the arraignment of the suspects.


He commended his men for the quick ar­rest of the suspects, and said that the Nige­ria Police under his leadership will leave no stone unturned at ensuring that all criminals in the country are brought to justice.
They also solicited the cooperation and partnership with the police, saying with cred­ible and quick information, the job of pro­tecting lives and property comes with ease.
Suspects’ confession

While in police detention, one of the sus­pects Umoru Ibrahim, 24, a native of Kebbi State, claimed that it was Babaworu, his friend and fellow cattleman that introduced him into kidnapping. In his words, Umoru who was specifically identified by Chief Falae said: “Few days before the last Sal­lah celebration, Babawuro, came to me in Ado Ekiti and borrowed the sum of N20, 000 from me, promising he would pay me the next day. But he called me and requested that I should meet him at Akure that he has a job for me. I asked what type of job and he said it was a lucrative farming job that will pay me enough money. I quickly borrowed the sum of N10, 000 from a woman in Ado Ekiti and I rushed down to Owo and met him at a designated spot.
“He then took me into the bush and we walked a few distance before getting to a spot where I met Idris Lawan, waiting for us. Babawuro then asked both of us to wait at that spot that he was going to fetch some other people who are going to work with us.


When he left, I asked Idris if he knew the na­ture of the job and he told me that he does not know. I asked him if he knows Babawuro very well and he explained that he was also a cat­tleman in Okene and he has met Babawuro a couple of times when they moved their cows together. He said that Babawuro called him and said he has a job that could fetch him some quick money so he left his cows in Okene and rushed down. While we waited, six other peo­ple including Babawuro showed up and joined us. It was then that Babawuro looked at me and said that the job we were to execute was rob­bery. I asked him where will the robbery take place and he told me that we are going to carry a human being. I then asked how we could sell a human being and make enough money for ourselves and he said we are going to make the person pay us some money and if he refuses we will let him go after spending some days with us and we will go after another person. Then he brought out two guns and handed them over to one Usman and Dogo.”


Fully armed and ready to execute their plan, Umoru said that they proceeded to Chief Falae’s farm. “We got to a stream close to the farm and waited until we sighted a big vehicle driving into the farm. Babawuro signaled to us and said that our target was in the farm and we should move in. Those with the guns were in front and started shooting indiscriminately, while we followed from behind. As soon as we saw the Chief, we arrested him, one of us, who have a cutlass, attacked Chief and injured him. We then took Chief away and we trekked a long distance before Babawuro, showed up with a bike. We knew that the old man cannot trek such a long distance, so Babawuro and one other person forced him to seat on the bike and they drove off. The rest trekked all night for 12 hours before we got to the point where they were. Babawuro left some of us to stay back and watch over chief. Our job was to look after the chief but some other people were talking with his family for ransom and whenever they want us to allow him to talk to his family they will call us and request that we should call his wife’s number. After four days, we got a call that the ransom has been paid and we should let him go. We took him out on the road and we all fled. Babawuro then called and said all of us should proceed to Abuja for our money. When I got there I got N100, 000 as my share and I quickly went to Ado Ekiti to pay off all my debts. I gave N50,000 to a man I was ow­ing N60,000, I then paid N10,000 to the wom­an who lent me money to Owo. I also gave N7, 000 to someone I was indebted to and I spent the rest,” Umoru narrated.


Satisfied with the extent the money he col­lected helped him settle his debt; Umoru used the remaining amount to organise a befitting Sallah celebration. He was surprised when he learnt that the leader of the gang, Babawuro had been arrested but he never knew that it was in connection with the kidnap case. “Af­ter the Sallah, Idris Lawan called me and said, Babawuro was arrested where he was drinking and everyone who was with him when he was arrested had been bailed, except him. I told him where I was and he came with Masaudu Moah­mmed and Bello Janu, who were also friends of Babawuro and while we were planning on how to raise the money for his bail the police showed up at the restaurant where we were and arrested the four of us.”


Quite aware of the implication if found guilty in court, Umoru said that he is relieved that his share of the ransom helped to pay his debt. “Before I was arrested, I felt relieved for paying those I was indebted to and my joy was cut short when the police showed up. I didn’t know that this was what I was getting myself into, I wouldn’t have joined them. But I am still happy that I was able to pay off my debt”, he said.
Trying exonerate himself from the various indictment by the other suspects that he was the mastermind, Abubakar who was found with part of the ransom denied taking part in the op­eration and explained that it was one of his friends, Idris (still at large), who borrowed his SIM card for four days that brought the money to his house.


“I wasn’t involved in the abduction of chief, although my phone number was used for nego­tiation of the ransom and a large amount of the ransom collected was also found in my house. What happened was that, one of my friends known as Idris, who I met just two months ago came to my house few days before Sallah cel­ebration and took one of my SIM cards. When I came home, my wife told me about it and I called and asked what he was doing with my SIM and he said he was using it for a job in Abuja. I don’t know where he lives or the kind of business he was into, but two days after the Sallah, he brought back my SIM and a bag con­taining a large sum of money. I wasn’t at home when he brought these items, but one of my wives received the items and gave them to me when I returned. But the moment I reinserted the SIM back into my phone, the police showed up in my house and arrested me. They accused me of organising the kidnap of Chief Olu Falae and I told them that I only rear and sell cattle, which was where I made the money I used in building my house and the also bought the four cars that I drive.


“I inherited over 40 cows from my late fa­ther and I have sold all remaining just 10. I explained that I have no hand in the kidnap­ping and it was one of my friends, Idris who borrowed my SIM card but the police won’t believe me. They asked me to take them to him and I told them that I do not know his house and they do not believe my story”, he narrated.
Umoru was always threatening to shoot me –Falae
Chief Falae, who was looking bright and healthy when he showed up at the Special Anti- Robbery Squad Department of the Ondo State Police Command, where the suspects were be­ing detained, was greeted with cheers by the policemen who led him to the spot where the herdsmen were paraded.
He swiftly identified two of the kidnappers, Umoru Ibrahim and Idris Lawan, as those who spent four days with him in the bush, explain­ing that Ibrahim had once threatened to shoot him, while Lawan usually shouted at him not to look at their faces.
Shortly after identifying his abductors, Chief Falae appreciated the police for their ef­forts in going after those who abducted him and he called for more support for security agencies so they could perform beyond expectation.


According to him; “I am grateful that the police responded swiftly in going after those who kidnapped me, this has shown that if given adequate support the police will perform mar­velously. I can easily identify two of my ab­ductors. One of them, the one at the extreme left, known as Umoru who cocked his gun and pointed it at me and wanted to shoot, then one of them pushed him away. I don’t know what he would have done. He would have pulled the trigger and it would have been a different story, for that reason I will never forget him. “The second one was always threatening me in the bush, whenever he looks at me he would say, Baba, Baba, don’t look at our faces and if you do, I will come back for you and that’s why most of the time I was with them, I wasn’t looking at their faces.


“When I saw them at the police station, they smiled which is an obvious sign that their cus­tomer has come. Those two that I identified were absolutely familiar to me. There is a pos­sibility that these are people who felt aggrieved because I stopped them from grazing from my maize farm or those other people doing illegal activities around my farm and they felt that I was standing in their way. They may have been the ones who organised this.


“As a public officer, I am proud of the se­curity agencies that went all out against these criminals. I am hopeful, if given adequate support and resources the police would live above expecta­tions of all Nige­rians. No institu­tion can be better than the Nigerian society, but I ex­pect the judici­ary to perform its responsibility and do justice to this case based on the evidence presented before them.”
The Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment