Wednesday, December 2, 2015

“We Saw Hell On Asaba-Onitsha Road” – Motorists, Passengers Lament Biafra Protest In Anambra


Travellers were held to a stand still for hours on Tuesday along Asaba road as the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, shutdown activities in Onistha, Africa’s largest commercial hub.
The protest was organised to warn the Federal Government of Nigeria on the need to free their detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu without delay.
The protesters also affirmed that they needed their independence as a nation.
DAILY POST gathered that the eastern gateway, River Niger was blocked for several hours as nobody was allowed to enter or go out of the state.

Some motorists, who spoke with our correspondent lamented that they spent almost 6 hours on the road.

“We have being on a standstill for more than six hours now. This protest is getting out of hand. The federal government should find a lasting solution to this problem,” a female passenger who gave her name as Sharon lamented.
Another driver of a popular road transport company described the experience as hell.
He said he was supposed to return to Lagos today from Enugu but that his plan had been shattered.
“This is hell. I mean serious hell. We have been here for hours now. Funny enough, I don’t even know where all my passengers are at the moment. I’m supposed to return to Lagos from Enugu today but all has been shattered now, all thanks to this protest,” he said.
Another Benin-bound driver said he got his side mirror broken while trying to disobey the other.
“I thought it was a joke when it first started. I got here very early, the people were not much when I arrived. I met about 10 guys here, they stopped me but I refused and one of them angrily broke my left-hand side mirror. Honestly, the Biafra thing is out of hand and something must be done fast,” the driver said.
Some passengers who also lamented their ordeals to our reporter, described those behind the protest as heartless.

No comments:

Post a Comment