Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These

To start with, I never read Marketing and throughout when I was in school, it never crossed my mind I would be selling/marketing a bank.

U know how it is in this country to get a job. U will have to share a testimony if u get one.

So when I was invited by bank A for an aptitude test, I was very happy. I passed the test and d bank A invited me for an interview, I had to form being a marketer when I learnt it's marketers they wanted. I came from an average family. It was a miracle how I got enough money to finance my university education. So I needed the job badly to give back to my family that sacrificed a lot for me. Thank God I got it.



I struggled in my first two years on the job. Narrowly, I escaped being exited from bank A based on performance. Because i didnt want to lose the regular salaries, I had to sit up. I began to read books on marketing and benchmarked top performers and then my performance changed from being very poor to average. But after six years on the job, I was still on the same grade.

When bank B offered me a higher grade/higher pay, I grabbed the offer. Because I was very excited, before accepting the offer, I didn't consider that:

(1) The brand of Bank A was more than bank B. Hence, marketing was easier in Bank A than in B
(2) Bank A has more branch network than bank B. A very critical factor some prospects consider before doing business with a bank.
(3) Bank A has more corporate accounts than Bank B. A critical factor distributors consider before banking u.
(4) The internal processes in bank A are better than that of bank B. In bank A, I could open an account for a customer in 10 mins, help another customer do transfer in 8 mins
(5) In bank A, most of their reports are already automated. That way, I could get more time to focus on d job instead of sending one report or the other to mgt. In bank B, the reports have to be manually generated.
(6) However, the staff welfare package in bank B is better than bank A's. Also, they don't sack often than they do in bank A.
(7) Your loyalty is tested. I felt like Judas thereafter.

So I had to work harder to bring in accounts in bank B. It was by a miracle I even met my confirmation target.

There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

So before u make that move, don't just get excited about the mouth- watery offer, weigh the costs and benefits, pray to God to guide your decisions or else u may be gambling with your career.

No comments:

Post a Comment