Wednesday, May 4, 2016

If you could only have six apps, which ones would they be?

With over 1.5 million apps in the Play Store I bet you’ll never download all, but there are just six apps you could live with. So if you limited yourself to only six apps, which would you choose? Here are the only six apps that matter to my Android experience and I recommend too.


1. For communication: WhatsApp
WhatsApp is one of the most popular apps available on Android and for a good reason. This app is where we communicate. Communication is an essential function of the smartphone.


WhatsApp takes care of all of my communication needs and that’s why I chose it as my one of the only apps I need. I can make calls, send text messages, share photos or even documents. All of this on the platform that nearly all of my friends and family have.


2. For browsing the internet: Google Chrome for Android
With my Google Chrome browsers I can do most of the functions apps do. With a browser I can watch YouTube videos, check my email, post pictures to Facebook, search for anything, navigate and many more. Google Chrome does all these things well, which is why it is essential to my Android experience. Of course, I normally use apps for many of these functions but if I only have five apps I would use my browser for them.

So why did I choose Google Chrome instead of a different browser? Chrome is one of the easiest browsers to use and does all of your the essential functions without a stutter. It has a built-in flash player and PDF reader as well as data saving features.


3. For keeping your phone secure: AVG
Without security, all of these the essential functions I need my smartphone for go out the window. If my phone is hacked I lose everything and my phone is completely useless. And though other apps on this list have security features built-in – like encryption on WhatsApp and security on Chrome for Android – the system itself needs to be protected.

AVG is the most popular security app for a good reason. All of the functions for keeping your phone secure are free and easy-to-use. Scanning and securing your device is quick and your smartphone is kept safe at all times. It just takes an update every once in a while.


4. For typing: SwiftKey Keyboard
Google’s stock Android keyboard has gotten much better over the years, but I don’t feel at home in a device until I have SwiftKey in place. Why? Simple: SwiftKey has the best layout, design, and functionality for my needs. Its next-word prediction knows me almost too well, and its swipe-to-type capability works wonderfully when I want it.


5. News and updates: FeedlyReader
I read a ton of tech news and rely on Feedly to keep up with the many sites I follow. But while Feedly’s Web interface is suitable enough, the company’s own Android app has always left me wanting more.

A third-party app called FeedlyReader fills that void with style and grace. With a clean and attractive Material Design vibe and an impressive array of features like configurable left and right-swipe actions within the story list and tons of opportunities for customization. FeedlyReader has almost everything I’ve ever wanted in an mobile RSS client.


6. For file management: ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer File Manager provides Android users with a fully-featured file manager that gives them complete control over their device’s file system. The File Manager can manage onboard storage and external storage such as microSD cards or USB flash drives.

The software can also be linked to users’ cloud storage accounts, with support for most major services including Dropbox, Box.net, Sugarsync, Google Drive, OneDrive, and more, seamlessly integrating cloud file management with local file management.

If you could only have six apps, which ones would they be? Tell us in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment